Imitating Williams The Red Wheelbarrow

The first time I encountered William Carlos Williams poem, The Red Wheelbarrow, I wondered how it became very popular despite its brevity. When I was younger, I used to think that poets who wrote the longest poems and epics were the ones who made it big in the scene. Studies of Homer and Chaucer confirmed my idea until I read Williams. Considering Williams popularity, one may think how his poem about the red wheelbarrow has survived until the present curriculum. The fact that it is still in textbooks nowadays implies its popularity and essence. Reading the poem once will make anyone think of it as just another simple poem with some tone of country color. However, a close reading of the poem leads readers to a surprising realization because beneath the simple words and style hides Williams deep reflections on life.
In my pastiche, I considered first the general idea of the author to construct the concept of my poem. Then I wrote the poem, retaining its brevity and style. I chose to retain exactly the first two lines of the poem to establish close similarity. I also retained the number of lines in order to imitate its brevity. For me, the brevity of the poem is what makes it very interesting. It makes the reader wonder why it is too short, and why the author uses the wheelbarrow as the subject. In my pastiche, I used a red apple to replace the wheelbarrow. Like Williams subject, a red apple signifies local color and simple lifestyle. Since the red wheelbarrow is useful tool for farming or construction, I chose the red apple to indicate usefulness and versatility.
The red wheelbarrow in Williams poem means more than the usual wheelbarrow. The first line, so much depends implies the usefulness of the tool to those who depend on it. Reflecting on this line, one will be led to ask, Who depends on the wheelbarrow Is it the usual wheelbarrow used to carry construction materials or is it something else What makes it special These questions can be addressed by reading between the lines. In particular, the last two lines that say, beside the white chickens suggest that the red wheelbarrow being referred to here is one that is used in the farm. Hence, farmers are the ones who depend on the red wheelbarrow. They use the red wheelbarrow to carry hay, feeds, and other things to feed the farm animals. Considering this, the animals themselves depend on the red wheelbarrow.
To imitate the usefulness of the red wheelbarrow, I thought of a red apple. As the saying goes, An apple a day keeps the doctor away, thus many depend on a red apple to stay healthy. In addition, I made it a red apple to show that the fruit is ripe and sweet. Like Williams red wheelbarrow that benefits farmers in particular, I also limited those who depend on the apple. Thus, I made it red, with the thought of a sick child in mind. Surely, a sick little child will prefer a red apple than a green one. With these thoughts, I believe that my poem is a good attempt to recreate Williams concept in The Red Wheelbarrow.
As regards the style of the author, I noted that Williams used aposiopesis, a rhetorical device in which the line stops abruptly, leaving it unfinished. Specifically, line 5 which says, glazed with rain is suspended and continued in the next, with the word water. This style presents some suspense, and stirs the imagination of the readers. Imagining the red wheelbarrow glazed with rain makes the reader think that the wheelbarrow is left in the rain, thus implying neglect. However, the word that follows water connotes gentle rain and a fresh atmosphere, thus creating countryside scenery.
The pastiche likewise uses aposiopesis. It suspends the thought about the apple being peeled and squeezed. Without the next line that says, with care (l. 6), readers may think that the apple is prepared for commercial use. In addition, line 7 that says, for the sick suspends the thought to make readers think the apple for an adult patient while the last line child tells for whom the apple is, and wraps up the whole idea.
Imitating Williams famous poem, I came to reflect about a number of things. First, I realized that the length of a poem is not the basis for its significance. The Red Wheelbarrow makes me realize that simple terms and ideas could mean a lot. They could demonstrate to us how a simple red wheelbarrow helps to feed farm animals, thus helping farmers make a living. It also makes me realize how I tend to overlook simple things such as a red apple which could cheer up a sick child. In sum, as Williams attempt to show the relevance of a red wheelbarrow in the lives of farmers, I also hope that with my pastiche, I can remind others the importance of a red apple for a sick child.

0 comments:

Post a Comment