My Community

I belong to two different communities one is my current community which is in Ann Arbor where I study at the University of Michigan, and the other is the community that I left back in Shanghai, China.  My community at Ann Arbor is composed mostly of students who are also from different locations and just moved here to Ann Arbor to study at the University of Michigan.

    The fact that University of Michigan is located at Ann Arbor makes majority of the population here diverse, as students from not only around the US but also around the world like myself flock here to have good quality education. It could be said that Ann Arbor is mostly a community of students to which I belong. It is a community because it is a group of people with varying in interests, hometowns, and ethnicities that manage to live together in cooperation.

    The community functions as my second community because my original community which is in Shanghai, China is thousands of miles away. The people of the community serve as my companion in times of need. Thankfully, they have been very accommodating despite me being from a foreign country. As for others, (the non-students) this community functions as a source of income. From the faculty of the school to the establishment employees outside of the campus, the residents of Ann Arbor benefit from the money being spent by the students.

    One of the rewards of being a part of this community is that the community is able to help with my studies. The community is also able to provide security for me, for I know that my friends would help me in times of need.

    The cost of membership is free, but being enrolled in the university is another matter. Since English is of course the primary language used in the community, it is just in the tone and sometime in the manner of writing that differences can be noticed.

    People from outside the community would simply see a group of students living and studying together just because we go to the same school. It may be right, but for us students who belong to the community, we are more than just forcibly living together We have formed something more like a second family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment